I am a member of the Everywhere Society and Everywhere has provided my very own soapstone heart box for this post about Macy’s Heart of Haiti campaign. However, all thoughts and opinions expressed herein are my own.
This past weekend, I had the opportunity to share my story with a fellow mother and one of my best friends, Erin. As a small token of my appreciation, I shared with her a Soapstone Heart Box with gold leafing through Macy’s Heart of Haiti.
Including a small necklace to show just how amazing she really is.
Not only is Erin a wonderful mother, she’s also one of the most giving people I know and to honor her in this small way was perfect. The Macy’s Heart of Haiti campaign is an opportunity to shine a spotlight on mothers and bring hope to an area that could use a bit of sunshine. In 2010, a devastating earthquake rocked the already fragile economy of this country. Haitian mothers bear the burden of this reality. A few statistics:
- For every 100,000 pregnancies in Haiti, 523 women die. For every 100,000 pregnancies in America, only 19 women die.
- A third of all girls over 6 years old never go to school.
- The average Haitian earns only $400 per year. The average American earns $26,000.
Each of these children have a mother that wants what’s best for them and through the Heart of Haiti program, Macy’s is able to bring hope and a sustainable income to this country. Macy’s in connection with the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund launched a product line on Macys.com and select Macy’s stores. Featuring beautiful items, many made by Haitian mothers, the product line is an opportunity to give back to those in Haiti while also gifting to those you love.
From the program:
These tobacco leaf vases are made by Yvette, a 27-year-old new mother who has built a cottage industry, an area where artisans come together in the town of Jacmel. Not only is she a new mother, she employs and manages a number of artisans. She is able to support her own child, her nieces and nephews through the orders she gets from Macy’s.
Here are a few more stats on Macy’s Heart of Haiti.
- All product is available on macys.com
- Heart of Haiti product is available in-store at these locations: Herald Square, Brooklyn Downtown, Metro Center, State Street, Northland Center, Seattle Downtown, Portland Downtown, San Francisco Union Square, Biltmore Fashion Park, South Coast Plaza Home, Mission Valley Home, Dallas Galleria, Lenox Square Mall, Dadeland
- Haiti has an estimated 400,000 artisans (out of a 10M pop’n) who rely solely on their handcrafted goods as a source of income. No other sector of employment even approaches such numbers.
- Macy’s Heart of Haiti employs 550 artisans while effecting 4500 others in a positive way.
How can you give back this Mother’s Day and year round while also giving love to those around you?