This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CycleSurvival #CollectiveBias
It seems like only yesterday I was sitting in junior high listening to embarrassing period stories from friends as we learned all about our bodies from a video series in our 6th grade class. I vividly remember the use of pancakes to illustrate the entire process and learned all about our periods while the boys watching who knows what in another classroom. Mortified doesn’t begin to cover it.
Screenshot from I Got It! I could not make this up – this was really how they taught us about our changing bodies in sixth grade. Ruined pancakes for me for the next ten years or so.
In those early pubescent years, there were a few surefire ways to know that your friends were dealing with the Red Sea without them actually saying much:
1. Bursting out with fits of emotion that were so powerful that Maleficent as a dragon would be afraid.
2. Suddenly, bringing a very stylish fanny pack or purse to school to carry..um…unmentionables.
3. Talking about having to “brush their teeth” after lunch. Um…we all know Aunt Flo stopped by. Just do your thing.
4. When one of those puff packages (ask my mom, that’s what I called them when I was five or so) fell out of a girl’s backpack and was then used as a monkey-in-the-middle toy while we waited for the class to end. (Yes, this actually happened. I remember it like it was yesterday. No, it wasn’t my puff package.)
The good news is that I have matured a bit and my cycle no longer reminds me of a breakfast item. The ways in which we take care of ourselves each month has evolved as well. New U by Kotex Curves® and U by Kotex® Lightdays Liners offer just the right amount of protection leading up to Aunt Flo’s visit that you can feel confident wearing what you want.
I can also feel more prepared without having to schlep a gigantic purse around with me just to carry my feminine products.
I’ve learned a few ways to make lemonade out of lemons and find the sunshine and rainbows during what seems like a storm that time of the month. Preparation is key and I always make sure to have what I need on hand. I like to call this my Box of Rainbows and Sunshine.
Box of Rainbows
It starts with the soft cloud: the softness and new slim design of U by Kotex Curves® and U by Kotex® Lightdays Liners are must-haves each month and provide the right amount of protection without the added bulk. Like the colors of the rainbow, your Box of Rainbows should include U by Kotex and everything else you need to brighten up your day and remind you that the rain is necessary, but only temporary.
Next, make sure you cover all the colors of the rainbow!
1. Red: Chocolate of any kind. Like this red bag, the bigger the better. I prefer dark chocolate, but the choice is yours.
2. Orange: Nail polish will do, especially in a bright hue. Treat yourself to an at-home manicure and feel footloose and fancy free.
3. Yellow: Who doesn’t love candles? Choose a tropical scent and imagine you’re on a desert island. It’s also a perfect pairing with number four.
4. Green: Oh hi there backaches, headaches and cramps, you’re the worst. Ease those pains a bit and relax in a bath of medicinal salts. They smell amazing and ease the aches in a pinch!
5. Blue: SALT is my thing during this time of the month and pretzel slims do the trick without all the fat. Even better, melt #1 and pour it all over these babies for an extra special treat and the perfect PMS treat.
6. Indigo/Violet because who knows anymore if there are two more colors or just one: Water will be key for minimizing bloat and keeping you refreshed! I snagged this fancy one at Walgreens and it not only rehydrates me, but when I’m feeling a hot flash or general discomfort, I can mist some water on myself for a quick cool down.
Bonus Finds (A little treasure at the end of the Rainbow)
Ice Cream because Hi, it’s Ice Cream
Rainbow colored hair ties because my hair could use some taming
Pretzels + Nutella = Heaven
Any magazine with your version of a luck-bringing-leprechaun on it. Hello, Chris Pratt.
Now you rest easy knowing that each month the rain will come, but your Box of Rainbows awaits you! With or without the pancakes.
Fill your own box with your favorites from Walgreens, starting with U by Kotex in the feminine products aisle. You can even snag $.75 off liners through an Ibotta rebate: Liners Lightdays or Liners Curves/Barely There.
What are your favorite ways to survive your cycle each month?