October seems to be one of the perfect times to visit Charleston! The weather is relatively mild with a hint of warmth and the beaches along the Atlantic seemed to have plenty of space for us to spread out and enjoy the sunshine! We are a family that LOVES our beach time and a trip to the ocean was just what vacation ordered (and Jack’s first time since being out of the womb!)
With fair skin and littles in tow, it can be quite a chore to prep for the beach, but being ready for anything at a moment’s notice is SO important when it comes to traveling! Here are a few of our favorite tips for enjoying the beach, the sand, and the waves!
- Bring a bag to carry all the things! Your bag will act as a great towel holder, a spot to be able to spy where you laid all your things, and to tow anything you might need for the day. A backpack did the trick for us and we jammed just about everything in there!
- Pack a little emergency bag! This is a must-have for us and one that I am SO thankful I put the time in to put together this go-around. In this little tote (and this will come with us on ALL adventures this trip), we include the following: aspirin (for us!), hand sanitizer (for all of us), sunscreen – a few different kinds so that we have options, bandaids, neosporin spray for those bites/infections/cuts along the way, and CHAPSTICK of your choice. You would not BELIEVE how dry those lips get amidst the salt water. Be prepared!
- PLENTY OF TOWELS! I cannot say it enough! Bring extra in your car, bring some to lay down and prepare to have them covered, put some in the bag. Errrrrywhere. Towels are a must and perfect for just about anything you might encounter!
- Something for SHELLS! Don’t mind us, but we totally left the house this morning without anything and what a mistake! We snatched up some pails along the way and they were perfect for playing, storing, carrying, and more! Quick tip: clean shells in a bowl of water & a splash of bleach to get them ULTRA clean and ready! Let them air dry overnight!
- WATER! When traveling, I packed reusable water bottles for all of us in our suitcases! We ice them up and take them along our day which really helps with the weather, the outdoors, AND not having to pay for overpriced water bottles when we are out. Quick tip: ask for an extra glass of water when you eat out and fill your bottle up that way! Icy cold!
- Underwear for the littles! Just trust me.
Overall, we had an AMAZING day and we enjoyed the majority of it for right around $5. Parking was THAT cheap, the beach was FREE, and we brought snacks to enjoy throughout the day to keep bellies FULL! We took a break from the sun by exploring gift shops and walking the pier and tried again to be FLEXIBLE with the boys in tow! Delicious eats, gorgeous scenery, and this was a day we plan to redo over and over and over again. Find us a beach and our vacation is made!
What are your best tips for heading to the beach with little ones?
O the Places We Went:
Surf, Sun, SAND!
Sightseeing, Fishing, Ocean Breezes
GRITS! CROISSANTS! CINNAMON ROLLS! DOGS!
Lowcountry boil, homemade key lime pies, and seafood in a ramshackle hidden gem