Whether you simply don’t have enough storage space or you have a tiny home that can’t accommodate all your stuff, there are some easy things that you can do to create some extra space. No, it doesn’t mean having to build an extension or doing major renovations. You’ll be surprised at how much space you can add to your home with just a few tips.
- Vertical storage. One of the things you can do to add more space into your home is by making use of walls. Instead of hanging picture frames or leaving walls bare, install shelving or hooks. Adding shelving on walls can even improve the aesthetics of a room. Instead of bulky bookshelves, you can place books on the wall. Trinkets, notebooks, and other decorations can go up the wall as well.
- Multiple use furniture. Plenty of furniture pieces are now available with two or more uses. Tables can be converted to chairs, beds can be folded up during the daytime, kitchen islands can be storage units. If you have small space, it is best to make use of these kinds of furniture, so that you have more items in your home without having a cluttered appearance.
- Store underneath. If you look around your home, you may see space available for storage underneath your furniture. Purchase a few storage containers that will fit under the bed, table, or sofa. This will keep items that you don’t regularly use away from view, and you can easily pull them out when you need them. Just make sure that you label containers, so you know exactly where to look.
- Folding furniture. When not in use, hide it. Folding furniture is now being used in smaller homes to make better use of space. There is a variety of folding furniture available for you to purchase including beds, dining tables, sofas, and chairs. All you have to do is hide them from view when not in use and you immediately create more space in your home.
- Go minimalist. Bulky furniture and items make a room look smaller. Choose minimalist pieces that will not only save you space, they will also make your home look more spacious. You can always make your home more interesting by choosing smaller items that will complement the minimalist furniture, such as bright cushions.
Don’t let having a small space restrict you from getting the items that you want. It will also help to do a yearly clean up of items that you no longer need to make more space for the items that are important to have in your home. When it comes to creating extra space, all you have to do is be creative and look for ways on how to maximize your space. With a little bit of switching things around, you will be able to get all the space you need.