This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #GameNightIn #CollectiveBias
Whether it’s my competitive streak shining through or my love of family togetherness, game nights have always held a special place in my heart. I recall vivid memories as a child of family game nights and was eager to start traditions with my own little misters. Games have a tendency to bring people together in the most obvious way, but you learn so much about yourself (and others) when rubber meets the road.
The boys have recently jumped headfirst into gameplay and we plan to tackle Hasbro® Monopoly in the coming weeks. Our family evenings usually start out the same way – excitement, enthusiasm and family togetherness. By the end of the games, we are usually filled with dread, hatred and choice words for family members. Mom’s competitive streak has a tendency to rub off on those around her – I’m working on it.
Want to have a successful night of board games and family fun? Consider these tips the next time you’ll be sitting the family down for a little friendly one-on-one.
1. Find age-appropriate board games
Hasbro® has a variety of options, including the classic Monopoly and Jenga sets! My boys LOVE playing Jenga, even when they get so close and nock it down (unsteady hands need not apply). But these family favorites are usually always involved somehow (Monopoly is coming up and the perfect way to teach kids valuable lessons about patience, real estate and money!) The most important factor is to find games that will keep your kids interested. Age-appropriate games are always better because you can ensure that they are able to play and will understand what’s happening.
2. Offer a variety of games to choose from
Oftentimes, you’ll need a variety of games for kids to choose from. This way, they won’t get bored easily and the games that each child picks to play means they will be uniquely invested. When having another couple or friends offer, having a variety also ensures that you’re likely to find something the whole group will really like rather than just one or two options. Walmart has a great selection if you’re looking to add to your game closet.
3. Use candy and snack as an incentive, bargaining chip or replacement for poker betting should you choose to go the cards route
Having candy on hand (think M&M’s®) means you’ll always have something for your family or guests to munch on. It works great as a table addition, put into little goody bags or as a replacement for money or other game pieces should you need it in a pinch. Snacks are one of the best parts of game night (at least we think so!)
Which brings me to the most important advice of all…
4. Have sweet treats on hand to soothe the loser’s ego and to celebrate the winner
If you’re crew is anything like my family, then you know that you’ll have a little one (or big kid) learning to deal with the stunning blow of defeat. Once the games are ready to be put away or if you need a sweet treat break sooner, it’s time to bring out the M&M’s® S’mores Brownie Pie! This recipe is ooey gooey and fudge deliciousness. Your game night isn’t really a game night until you’ve dished this out.
- ¾ cup of flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips (1/4 c. reserved)
- 1 bar of your favorite chocolate bar (I used milk chocolate)
- 2 tbsp. of cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ c. unsalted butter (1.5 sticks)
- ¾ c. sugar
- ¾ c. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. hot fudge
- Favorite flavor of M&M's®
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease glass pie plate.
- Melt butter on stovetop and combine chocolate chips and chocolate bar until smooth. Let cool.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Once the butter mixture is cool, whip in eggs, hot fudge and incorporate dry ingredients until combined.
- Fold in reserved chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until slightly underdone.
- Top brownies with marshmallows and place back into the oven to melt.
- Remove from oven once marshmallows have started to brown. Think s'mores look.
- Immediately top with your favorite flavor of M&M's®. Let cool and settle.
You most likely already have everything you need on hand to make this recipe, but that can be dangerous. It means you could enjoy this deliciousness whenever you want. Basically, make this brownie pie daily.
Find all your #GameNightIn essentials in the aisles of Walmart. Your favorite M&M’s® varieties can be located in the candy aisle and use this coupon to save even more on this must-have snack! Your family’s Hasbro® favorites like Monopoly and Jenga can be found in the game aisle. Walmart actually has them available on an end cap, so do not pass GO until you’ve had an opportunity to snag them!
What are your family’s go-to board games for family game night? Do you have a signature sweet treat that you like to share?